I wasn’t quite sure where to start when looking back on the past 12 months: 2021, somehow, feels like it has been both 10 minutes and 10 years long. There’s something about the pandemic that’s changed the concept of time, I’m telling you! Thankfully, the team is hot on social media, so our Instagram feed has given me some wonderful moments of nostalgia to look back on. If you haven’t already, take a look at our EV. Yearbook, and see the moments that make up each of TeamEV’s 2021!
At the start of this year, I think there was definitely hope for a return to “normal” and whilst it didn’t quite pan out that way, I’m really proud of the year that EAST VILLAGE. has had. We’ve grown, we’ve welcomed new clients, we’ve achieved campaigns with serious impact, and we’ve really kept that #PRwithPersonality shining through!
So, as we wrap things up on the final working day of the year, here’s a little insight into how 2021 panned out for TeamEV…
We welcomed some new faces…
Thanks to the wonderful Victoria Beddoes, you’ll have joined us in documenting the new faces that have joined us this year… we love a photoshoot, does TeamEV! It’s been so great to welcome Sam, Abi and George to the team, and whilst Sam heads off to pastures new in 2022, we’re very excited that another photoshoot will be happening upon our return, so you might have some new members of the team to meet! Eeek!
The extended TeamEV family has grown too: Nicole is currently on maternity leave, having welcomed gorgeous baby Teddy. Hattie also joined the ‘Dog Owners’ Club’, welcoming Bambus’ new BFF, Pepper.
The band got back together!
When lockdown lifted, we could finally embrace our flexible working. #WorkTogetherWednesdays became a staple, as the team got back together every week for a day full of meetings, brainstorms and general EV. fun. Huge thanks to our new flexible working homes: thestudio, Custard Factory, and The Village Solihull.
Oh, and we kept hitting headlines about our approach to flexible working too, with Tara and Hattie both doing a tonne of interviews across national and regional media. Some of the highlights have included BBC News, LBC Radio, and BBC WM!
The client list kept growing…
Building on our most successful year to date (yes, even with the pandemic we were unstoppable in 2020), we’ve been so happy to welcome a host of new clients on board for projects and launches, as well as some new strategic retained clients too!
We continued to support small businesses with our Pocket Sized PR packages during Lockdown 3.0, welcoming craft beer, Gypsy Brew; online retailer, I Heart Travel Art; consultancy firm, Oaks; and start-up Work From Here, at the start of the year.
The long-awaited return of hospitality back in April also saw the return of one of most important client sectors and we were brought on board to help The Rolling Mill, a new bar and restaurant in Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter; live music piano bar, Jukeboxers; and Bolton-based gastropub, The Cross Guns Inn. We also helped launch Treetop Adventure Golf in Birmingham’s Bulling as well as, most recently, the fantastic Vagabond Wines, which chose Colmore Row as its first location outside of London.
Our work in the health and wellness sector also saw us land a three-month campaign with at-home massage app, Urban, as well as become the retained agency for Echor, the one-stop-sleep-shop. This Christmas, we’ve also been helping secure product placement for the amazing Joyous Journal.
Closer to home, we also landed some incredible new local clients too. We started working with the team at MAC (Midlands Arts Centre), one of the UK’s leading arts and culture complexes, and the Jewellery Quarter BID. In addition to founder and business profiling for two new retained clients: JQ-based ecommerce agency, Cake, and paid social agency, Pink Leopard.
What a year!
… and we’ve achieved some great results for them!
The last couple of weeks are always stressful at EV.HQ, as we balance wrapping up the year just gone and planning for the year ahead, whilst also making sure we’re fully in the festive spirit. The one thing that we do always love (although I’m not sure the team loves my pernickety amends!) is looking back at just how much we’ve achieved.
This year, we’ve achieved over 700 pieces of coverage for clients (729 to be exact)… as well as a tonne of broadcast placements on top. If you’re into the numbers game: this coverage totals 16.3million PR Reach and 229.4million circulation… well done to TeamEV!
Events came back too!
As restrictions lifted in the latter part of this year, we also saw the return of events. We’ve missed our clipboards and branded gilets, so it’s been brilliant to be back out there again!
- We planned and delivered launch events for Treetop Adventure Golf, Jukeboxers and Vagabond Wines
- We hosted a free wine giveaway in Birmingham City Centre with Vagabond’s Vagabanks
- We held a taster event in The Rolling Mill’s courtyard, to welcome JQ residents and visitors alike to the brand-new venue
- Come rain or shine, we got our event set-up gladrags (ahem) on to build Halesowen’s city centre summer beach
- Our retail activations made a return with Halloween and Christmas events, packed-full of family fun, at Coventry Skydome and Longbridge Town Centre
We also got to attend some brilliant events; from awards like MBCC Awards, Business Masters, and Birmingham Awards, through to TAG Network Midlands events and client parties!
Some of TeamEV’s client highlights…
It’s a tough call trying to pick out just how much impact our campaigns have had for clients, which is why I asked the teams behind them to do that job. Here’s just *some* of what our 2021 activity has really meant to the businesses that we support:
LIVING WELL UK
- Total circulation of over 89 million, across regional and national business and consumer titles
- Coverage secured included Independent, Cosmopolitan, Bustle, Stylist, and Tyla.
- We helped Living Well UK become regular mental health experts for Metro
- Facilitated partnerships and collabs with the likes of The Village Charity, Solihull BID, and Colmore BID
‘IT’S OKAY’ – NHS CCG x LIVING WELL UK x BIRMINGHAM MIND
- Four-week campaign to promote a one-stop mental health helpline extended into 2021
- Partnership with Reach Plc included a homepage takeover on Birmingham Live, as well as their social media channels and articles. Over two weeks, our ads were seen by 100k readers, and our advertorial had over 2.2k readers, with an average dwell time of 4m57s – that’s 233% higher than their usual ‘good’ dwell time.
- Following an award nomination written by EV., the campaign recognised in the Third Sector Awards, as a finalist for ‘Charity Partnership of the Year’
HEART OF ENGLAND COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
- Achieved a total reach of 2.2 million in the last 12 months across regional business, regional consumer, and third sector titles
- Secured 112 pieces of coverage in a range of online and print publications
- Nominated and won ‘Public and Third Sector Leader’ for Tina at the West Midlands Business Masters Awards
- Helped to launch the iHeartWestMids campaign that saw 3 installations across the West Midlands
CASTLE FINE ART
- Achieved a total reach of 1.15 million across regional and national titles
- Secured 33 pieces of coverage for Alfie Bowen’s launch of ‘Call of the Wild’ in national and regional titles, generating a total reach of 413,034
- Achieved a total reach of 455,986 for the launch of Stuart McAlpine Miller’s Harry Potter collection
- To date, we have achieved a total circulation of over 11 million this year for the UK’s first one-stop sleep shop across regional, national business and consumer titles
- Helping to spread the word about the start-up’s bestselling products, innovative sleep quiz, real-life pop ups and expert understanding of sleep cycles, we undertook a multi-faceted approach to land a variety of coverage
- From gift guides to reviews to premium product pages, we’ve helped to ensure Echor’s products were tried, tested and loved by the likes of Stylist, Marie Claire and Listique’s journalists.
- Total circulation of over 2.2 million this year, across regional and national business, sustainability press and consumer magazines, helping us to shout about Love Logs’ key successes as a start-up business and positioning them as industry experts
- Landed six product pages, five of which in national print magazines, including Woman & Home magazine, Livingetc and Country Homes & Interiors
- In addition to a further 30 other pieces of coverage in the likes of Tech Round, Smiley News and Gramersi
- Helped to launch the ‘chatty bench’ initiative in Coventry, which saw a total reach of 327,995 in regional coverage – including an interview with BBC Coventry and Warwickshire and also secured a reach of over 22,000 on social media
- Generated over 42,000 reach across Skydome social accounts in line with the Halloween and Christmas events that we managed
- Organised and managed two drive-in cinema events, which saw over 120 people attend and generated an online reach of 44,308 on Facebook and Instagram
- As well as distributing the news about Centrick’s key client wins, team expansion and top hires as well as new projects and services, we’ve been on hand to offer 360 social media services
- Having secured over 60 pieces of coverage in key regional, national business and trade titles, we achieved a total circulation of over 5 million this year
- This included coverage in the likes of The Business Desk, CoStar and Business Live, helping to establish Centrick’s reputation as the Midlands’ leading estate agency and elevating key members of the teams’ profile with expert comments, profile pieces and interviews
- Achieved a total reach of 441,507 and a circulation of 1,974,438 in regional and national titles
- Secured coverage in the Daily Mirror ‘Community Corner’ in print
- Achieved a total reach of 55,358 and a total circulation of 1.1 million in the last six months across regional business titles
- Secured three profile pieces for the SLT team
- Shortlisted for two regional awards and one national award
- Won ‘Fast Growth Business’ at West Midlands Business Masters Awards
- After interviewing eight members of the Oaks team as part of our signature onboarding EV.aluation audit, we curated a bespoke 12 months comms plan to match up with Oaks’ internal growth plans and helped to redefine their key messaging
- From spreading the word about its flagship online fundraising platform, Fundraisrs, to elevating the Oaks senior leadership team’s profile with thought leadership pieces and business press Q&As, this diligent approach resulted in a total circulation of 1.1 million and 28 pieces of coverage in key third sector, business and trade titles including Charity Times, Smiley News and BBP Media.
THE ROLLING MILL
- We achieved a total circulation of over 23 million this year, across regional, national business and trade titles, helping to spread the word about the launch of its debut delivery menu and the first phase of its dine-in opening
- Coverage secured included a Facebook Live and press preview with The Birmingham Mail, Birmingham Living Magazine, The Business Desk and a fab advertorial with I Choose Birmingham
- The team was super keen to spread the word and invite in key influencers and bloggers within the Midlands to try out the cuisine, so we devised a targeted database of the best in Brum and surrounding areas. To date, we’ve booked in over 18 PR trips to dine in at TRM and document their experience.
- This has so far resulted in 50+ pieces of social media content with an approximate audience reach of 90k
I mean, what a YEAR! It’s not been without its challenges, but looking back on the past 12 months I’m not only incredibly proud of the team for their results, but I’m truly delighted that we get to have this kind of impact on other people’s businesses.
Thank you to every single person who has been part of 2021 for EAST VILLAGE. Whether a client, supplier or just a social media cheerleader, you all matter SO much to me and the team. So thank you!
Let’s see what 2022 has in store!